MAC Lipstick in ‘Deeply Adored’
– The darkest of the reds I own, Deeply Adored is a lipstick that often makes its appearance throughout the colder months. One I picked up two years ago in MAC’s Marilyn Monroe collection (please tell me I’m not the only one who always gets sucked into the ‘oh my god it’s only temporary’ trap?!) it’s very much on the berry side of the red lipstick spectrum. A matte finish that isn’t too matte and lasts a while before needing to be topped up – a winner in my eyes.
Illamasqua Lipstick in ‘Box’
– I actually received this lipstick when I won myself a hamper of make-up goodies from Company Magazine last year, but have since found myself using this on many occasion. A true pillar box red, this classic colour is one I find most flattering on most. Again, a very matte/slightly satin finish which isn’t at all drying and very long-lasting.
NARS Lipstick in ‘Jungle Red’
– Given as a gift, I’d always wanted to try out a NARS lipstick, but if I’m honest hadn’t really heard much about the colour. However, my friend who bought this done well and it quickly won it’s place in my favourites. More of a orange-red than a red-red, this was my summer colour of the year and something tells me I’ll be reaching once more for it next season. Perfect when applied straight to the lip, but also when sheered out with a lip balm, it’s perfect for both day and night wear.
Wet n Wild Lipstick in ‘Purty Persimmon’
– My lovely friend Megan (go check out her blog, it’s a good’un) picked this lipstick up for me over the summer when she was visiting the big old US of A. I’d heard many good things about these lipsticks on a whole, and boy did it not disappoint! Picking up this amazing orangey red shade (a true Megan colour if I did see one), I wore this shade pretty much non-stop for weeks after first trying it out. A satin finish with incredible lasting power, I barely had to re-apply during the day and I couldn’t believe how it’s amazing it’s quality is for the price. Y U NOT IN THE UK!?
Sephora Cream Lip Stain in ’01 Always Red’
– Ok, so I’ve definitely left the best until last. At first I was sceptical about this product, a matte liquid lipstick sounded a bit of an odd concept to me, and I’d never gotten along with the Rimmel Apocalips which I found to just be ridiculously messy to apply. However, I saw this raved about on many of my favourite blogs, and when my friend offered to pick me up a few bits in Sephora, this lip product rocketed to the top of my list. And it was love with first swatch. The perfect red-red with blue undertones, making it oh-so flattering, this lip cream is like nothing else I’ve used. It’s perfectly matte without being drying and the best part? It’s staying power. I mean, I’m talking 8 hours, including food and drink without even budging. If anything, it’s difficult to take off at night. If you ever get the chance to get your hands on this, I couldn’t recommend it more!
2. Coat – H&M, Dress – MANGO, Bag – Zara
3. Shirt – Topshop, Culottes – Urban Outfitters, Jacket – Dorothy Perkins, Hat – Primark
4. Jacket – Topshop, Top – Topshop, Jeans – Topshop, Shoes – Primark
Shooting outfit photographs is quite a big part of my day-to-day life, and whilst you’ll have seen many of my favourites, not all reach my blog. Maybe because I’m not that fond of the outfits or because the photographs haven’t turned out very good, it varies. However I thought I’d introduce a new feature to my blog, where every so often I’ll put together a few photographs from here and there of outfit snippets that never made it into a full post.
The majority of these were taken over the summer (apart from the third one – the leaves sort of give it away) and looking back, my style has changed a whole lot. The last outfit for instance? Those jeans could’ve done with being rolled up and that jacket is a little toooversized. And the third photograph? Girl, you’re gonna have to find a better way to wear those culottes. You definitely ain’t killin’ it.
I think it’s nice to reflect back to old posts as well as those that didn’t make it onto the blog. Slightly cringe-worthy at times (and a whole lot of ‘what on earth was I thinking?!’) it’s always a nice reminder of how my photography has improved and general sense of personal style has evolved massively. While I’m certainly not cool enough to pull off the trainers vibe (as much as I’d like to), I’m perfectly happy with my array of hats, 60s-inspired shapes and the odd nod to 70s fashion.