I always love spending my time in December researching plenty of festive-inspired recipes to give a go. However, if there’s one thing that I find an issue; it’s time. Possibly one of the busiest times of the year, sometimes you just don’t have the time to bake the most time-consuming treats. So a favourite of mine is the classic shortbread, but with a little Christmas twist. Made up of a whole 5 ingredients (that’s including the decoration), this recipe is pretty fool-proof and a fun little bake to give a go when you’re rushed for time. I’m a baking novice and this took me barely anytime!
– 125g Butter
– 55g Caster Sugar
– 180g Plain Flour
– Christmas Sprinkles (I used Christmas trees and snowflakes)
– A large bar of White Chocolate
1. Before you begin making the biscuits, preheat your oven to 190c/Gas Mark 5.
2. Mix together the butter and the caster sugar, until you’re left with a light fluffy cream. This is a pretty crucial step as it’ll determine how your shortbread will turn out.
3. Add in the flour to your mixture, and then using your hands, kneed together the mixture until you’re left with a soft dough. It’s a little messy, but all part of the fun right?!
4. Sprinkle in your Christmas sprinkles, adding in as many or as little as you like. Kneed a little more until you’re happy with how they’ve mixed in with the dough.
5. Roll out your dough until even, and cut out whichever shapes you’d like – I just chose circles as I could only find the one cutter! Make sure you use up as much dough as you can, you don’t want to waste any! This recipe makes around 14 biscuits.
6. Sprinkle the circles with a little caster sugar and then place the dough on a baking tray. Leave in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
7. Once that time is up, place in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until it’s light golden brown. Leave to cool on a cooling tray.
8. For decoration, I simply melted a bar of white chocolate (but of course, you can use any chocolate/icing) and then drizzled it over each biscuit, before adding a few snowflake sprinkles to make it look extra festive!
Are you a shortbread fan? I’d love to know what you think!
Any festive recipes you love to try out over Christmas?